1. Keep vermin that attract snakes out of your pile.
2. Keep meat scraps out of your pile.
3. Keep oils out of your pile.
4. Keep the odor down.
5. Keep the right mixture of nitrogen rich and carbon rich materials. (Keeps the odor down.)
6. Use an above ground composter. (When the pile is off the ground the snakes will not be attracted to the heat of the decomposing material.)
7. Make it physically impossible for snakes or vermin to enter your pile.
8. If you have a dog, let him roam. The presence and smell of a larger animal keep snakes away.
9. If you don’t have a dog, consider getting one and letting him roam. J
10. Not interested in a dog but like flowers? The strong smell of Marigolds and Lemon Grass are rumored to have snake repellant properties!